The relationship between the Arab leadership and the Jerusalem municipality is complex and involves both patterns of cooperation and coordination as well as tension and conflict. Despite the difficulties local leaders have shown a willingness to cooperate with the municipality to improve conditions in the Arab neighborhoods.
The tour will address the neglect of neighborhoods outside of the security barrier, the municipality taking over UNRWA responsibilities in Shu’fat refugee camp, as well as the status of education, service, infrastructure and security, and coordination between the different organizations.
The tour and meetings will include:
- Briefing with Ben Avrahami, Deputy Adviser to the Mayor of Jerusalem for Eastern Jerusalem Affairs
- Outlook at French Hill overlooking Shu’fat and Isawiyah with Jerusalem’s municipality representative
- Visit to Shu’fat refugee camp’s community and service center and meet with Arab residents
- Briefing with Israeli police commander at the Shu’fat check point on security and services provided by municipality into the camp
- Visit to Isawiyah village, meet with Ms. Rabab Issawi, head of the Community center and meet with residents