July 4, 2013
Relocation of Jahalin Bedouin Tribe Wednesday, July 4
Relocation of Jahalin Bedouin Tribe
Nwia'meh New Palestinian Housing Project
Wednesday, July 4, 9-3pm
Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon has given the green light to a controversial plan to build a new housing project in the Arab village of Nwai'meh near Jericho, earmarked for the settlement of the Jahalin Bedouin tribe now camped on the slopes of the Judean desert beside the Jerusalem-Dead Sea road (1). To be built on some 2,000 dunams of land in Israeli-controlled "Area C" of the disputed territories in the Jordan Valley, the plan seeks to provide a permanent answer to the Jahalin tribe's need for housing, education facilities and the like, but is opposed by Jewish and Arab groups.
July 1, 2013
Field tour to new housing projects in Itamar and Bruchim (tent)
Field tour to new housing projects in Itamar and Bruchim
June 24, 2013
Bedouin land issues in the Negev
is pleased to invite members of the foreign press to a field tour to explore
Bedouin and Jewish Land Issues
in the Negev & the Prawer Plan
Monday 24 June 8:30-4pm
The Prawer-Begin Plan, a five-year relocation program to "regulate the settlement of Bedouin in the Negev, seeks to address the problem of unrecognized Bedouin villages in the Negev by relocating most of them in state-approved townships.
As reported in the Jerusalem Post yesterday, the Bedouin tribes and groups who represent them are lobbying against the plan in the Knesses, as unfairly forcing thousands of people to relocate. The government argues that as in other western nations operating under the rule of law, illegal land use must be regulated, and the relocation will help Bedouin better integrate into Israeli society.
This field tour will examine the controversy from both perspectives.
The tour will include:
- Meeting with A'tyeh El A'sam, director of the Council of Unrecognized Villages in the Negev
- A visit to the unrecognized village of Al Sir
- A briefing with Liad Aviel, Authority for the Regulating of Bedouin Communities in the Negev (Ministry of Housing)
A fee of 150 NIS defrays the cost of transportation, meals and other expenses.
Please make your reservation by Thursday June 20th 5pm.
RSVP: Please use this web form
|MediaCentral Upcoming Events|
- Settlements & int'l law briefing postponed
Wed, June 26 (tent) - Field Tour to Nwai'meh and Jahalin Bedouin community of Khan Al Ahmar (Mishor Adumim) w/briefings
June/July - Settlement Issues Series
- Field tour to new housing projects in Itamar and Bruchim
- Field tour to Amona-Migron ahead of scheduled dismantling
- Debate on legal issues
- Debate on political issues & opposing claims
- Expert briefing on settlements in int'l law
Every Thursday at 4pm: "Thank Goodness It's Thursday
* "TGIT" ("Thank Goodness It's Thursday") is MediaCentral's weekly informal gathering with wine and cheese, chips and salsa, every Thursday at 4pm at our offices, 8 HaRav Kook Street, Jerusalem, with occasional briefings on various topics - but always with interesting guests and discussions. Join us!